|Class Title:||APPLICATION ADMINISTRATOR-ADV|
|Bargaining Unit:||Use for all Job Titles|
- Leverages performance monitoring tools to identify application and server performance issues.
- Supports regularly scheduled server and database maintenance.
- Provides on-call support and coverage as needed during non-business hours to ensure 24 x 7 availability.
- Monitors overall end user experience to understand performance anomalies as they occur.
- Monitors application performance statistics to verify sufficient resources for user load.
- Monitors system and applications logs and reports for system integrity and escalate as necessary.
- Monitors licenses for applications to confirm adequate amount of remaining licenses.
- Modifies computer security customizations and/or configurations to incorporate new software, correct errors, or creates or modifies users roles.
- Creates, updates and tests security aspects of the business resumption plan.
- Troubleshoots enterprise class application software, user interface issues and escalates if necessary.
- Implements security settings or configurations necessary to ensure data security while in transit or at rest.
- Recommends and implements security design features to protect data and infrastructure resources.
Scheduling Work and Activities:
- Schedules time to apply updates and patches to the test environments to ensure a seamless transition to the production Enterprise application Environment.
- Utilizes the Problem Management Database in order to submit requests for permission to perform monthly maintenance which will prevent interruption of service for users or applications.
- Performs routine maintenance to applications.
- Schedules monthly maintenance cycles for the Server Operating System and application to keep them up to date.
Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work:
- Manages changing priorities to ensure deadlines are met and critical issues are resolved in a timely manner.
Drafting, Laying Out, and Specifying Technical Devices, Parts, and Equipment:
- Assists in the design of architecture for new applications by following State standards to ensure stable, available environments.
Interacting With Computers:
- Upgrades new monitoring software per vendor instructions to leverage the latest technology and to stay current with vendor support
- Ensures connectivity between enterprise application and its supporting applications.
- Migrates application changes through development, test and production environments to thoroughly test changes before applying to live production environments.
- Upgrades third party applications per vendor instructions to leverage the latest technology and to stay current with vendor support.
- Applies the latest application patches per vendor recommendations to ensure latest fixes and functionality.
- Configures connectivity between applications through software interface product.
- Installs and configures third party applications in development, test and production environments.
- Installs and configures reporting tools in development, test and production environments.
- Upgrades new applications, per vendor instructions, to leverage the latest technology and to stay current with vendor support.
- Upgrades new supporting software per vendor instructions to leverage the latest technology and to stay current with vendor support.
- Utilizes state standard workstation tools to manage server, Operating System and application software.
- Installs and configures server hardware, operating system and application software.
- Verifies application load is balanced across servers to ensure acceptable performance.
- Installs and configures new applications in development, test and production environments.
- Installs and configures web applications in development, test and production environments.
- Installs and configures batch servers in development, test and production environments.
- Installs and configures supporting software in development, test and production environments to utilize all components of the primary enterprise application.
- Installs and configures middleware products in development, test and production environments.
- Installs and configures performance monitoring software to better manage application and server performance.
- Develops and maintains procedures for the transfer of secure information by following state standards.
- Develops and maintains scripts for server and application administration.
- Performs high availability testing on servers to prevent downtime.
- Performs fail over of servers in case of disaster recovery.
- Back-ups server, applications and data.
- Restores server, applications, and data.
Repairing and Maintaining Electronic Equipment:
- Performs advanced and routine system maintenance on complex applications.
- Performs advanced routine maintenance and tuning on complex application databases.
- Performs advanced application troubleshooting on statewide applications and determine if or when vendor support should be called to aid in resolution of problems.
- Performs application upgrade for new product releases.
- Performs application and Operating System tuning to meet user requirements.
- Defines firewall rules required for server and application connectivity.
- Develops and maintains the documentation needed for system implementation and recovery.
- Develops and maintains scripts for server and application administration.
- Participates in developing automated scripting, ad-hoc queries and reports to extract information from Enterprise level Multi-tier applications.
- Participates in establishing change control and application performance monitoring processes and ensures use of same.
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates:
- Mentors peers and shares technical knowledge with co-workers and other parties.
- Communicates application configuration changes to team.
- Assists users with resolutions of technical problems.
- Identifies and escalates problems as appropriate following procedures.
- Conveys concise problem information for service personnel.
- Recommends change or improvements to enhance customer service and/or reduce time of problem resolution.
- Communicates pertinent information to create a work environment that leads itself to the best interests of departmental personnel and customer service.
- Recommends change or improvements to Service Level Agreements to upper management to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction is met.
Communicating with Persons Outside Organization:
- Develops and maintain a proper working relationship with vendors/contractors and suppliers in accordance with management policies and promptly informs management of any issues that arise.
- Maintains communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Responds to agency queries in person, by phone or emails.
- Assists in the planning scheduling and logistics for Enterprise Application replacement/refresh.
- Develops and maintain a relationship with outside companies to establish a connection for the secure exchange of information.
Analyzing Data or Information:
- Troubleshoots server, operating system, application issues and escalate if necessary.
- Tests network connectivity of all needed application services, e.g. database, site servers, and clients.
- Diagnoses issues through all available resources and tools.
- Monitors application performance through monitoring software to identify trouble areas and possible tuning opportunities.
- Monitors server performance through monitoring software to identify trouble areas and possible tuning opportunities.
- Tests new enhancements and fixes to ensure that the desired results are achieved without issues.
- Researches abnormal system events to determine if further action is required.
- Reviews critical errors in the server and application logs to identify source of issue and determine the correct resolution.
- Reviews new releases and patches from application vendor to stay up to date with latest fixes and functionality.
- Verifies all applications after database and server downtime, unexpected as well as scheduled, to make sure all systems are functioning properly.
- Reviews application configuration to identify any discrepancies across load-balanced environments.
- Analyzes long running processes to understand negative trends for the purposes of performance tuning.
- Analyzes changes to operating systems and applications by monitoring systems consoles and takes appropriate actions by correcting or notifying appropriate personnel.
Performing Administrative Activities:
- Maintains all proper paperwork and problem management database entries as dictated by current policies and guidelines.
- Receives data from the problem management database.
- Collects and compiles performance and availability information on applications to report to management.
- Attends technical conferences and seminars to keep abreast of new hardware/software technology product developments.
Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events:
- Reviews critical errors in the server and application logs and researches the reason for the error and take the steps necessary to fix the problem.
- Researches the applications website for common event IDs to determine if events are normal or actions need to be taken in response to the event.
- Identifies events that could delay processing and notify appropriate personnel or take corrective action.
- Identifies data transmission errors and corrections of factors causing these errors.
Estimating the Quantifiable Characteristics of Products, Events, or Information:
- Plans application installation requirements for hardware and/or software components to ensure system functionality.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards:
- Evaluates Enterprise Class application software serving multiple departments and agencies and related packages for standards.
- Reviews server policies for compliance to standards.
- Reviews application policies for compliance standards.
Judging the Qualities of Things, Services, or People:
- Evaluates new application software for business need relevance to determine their usefulness to the current enterprise.
Making Decisions and Solving Problems:
- Leverages vendor knowledge base through support contract or other means to troubleshoot issues and to review new technology.
- Supports developers, database administrator, functional analysts and server administrators with requests for tasks that require application administration.
- Develops reports as support aids for private and shared use.
- Researches vendor documentation in the event of a problem to identify the solution.
- Utilizes Problem Management Database to submit a request for additional resources to ensure system integrity.
- Coordinates file-share administration and communicates about needed activities to users.
- Assists with troubleshooting complex connectivity and performance issues.
- Assists with troubleshooting with complex systems, networking, and firewalls issues.
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Maintains knowledge of network architecture, database and operating system concepts.
- Leads meetings about and communicates about change control events at the infrastructure and application levels.
- Maintains up-to-date documentation of technical, and procedural changes as they occur.
- Maintains knowledge of servers and applications in use in the Enterprise Application environment.
- Contributes to departmental productivity and development objectives by participating in training programs.
- Collaborates with IT staff, attends webinars and reads industry related publications to remain abreast of advance technology.
- Reviews the documentation for the product and determine if information applies to the current environment or can improve the performance of the Server or application.
Developing Objectives and Strategies:
- Creates reference documentation for individual applications to ensure procedures are documented.
- Participates in the development of goals.
- Tunes and/or makes recommendations for application settings per vendor recommendations to allow for optimal user experience.
- Tunes and/or makes recommendations for server settings per vendor recommendations to allow for optimal user experience.
- Reviews new releases, patches, hotfixes, and security bulletins from multiple software vendors.
- Participates in disaster recovery planning and testing to ensure fail over plan meets requirements and works as expected.
- Recommends changes or improvements to enhance customer service and/or reduce time of problem resolution.
- Reviews test environment to evaluate upgrade or deployment status.
- Implements new products in test environment and refers to lead server administrator for assistance or direction.
Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships:
- Collaborates with users of Information Technology by employing a high degree of tact and diplomacy to promote a positive image of the department.
Coordinating the Work and Activities of Others:
- Coordinates application downtime with co-workers and other parties to ensure the least disruption of service.
Training and Teaching Others:
- Conducts training sessions for application administration team to ensure team is cross-trained on all supported environments.
- Creates training documentation.
- Functional/Technical Competency
- Problem Solving
- Customer Focus
- Time Management
- Integrity and Trust
- Logical Thought
- Technical Learning
- Written Communication
- Problem Management Systems
- Service Level Management
- Antivirus, Anti-Malware and Spam Software
- Web Server Software
- Email Systems
- Directory Services
- Email Archival Software
- Collaboration and Content Management
- Customer Relations Management Software
- End Point Protection
- Systems Management
- Configuration Management
- Mass Mailing Management Software
- Unified Communication Software
- Encryption Software
- Dual Factor Authentication Software
- Identity Management Software
- WAN Hardware Topology
- Server Load Balancing
- Storage Area Network
- Clustering Technology
- Domain Name Servers
- Network Architecture Concepts
- Server Load Testing
- Firewall Concepts
- Performance Monitoring
- Server Sizing
- Back-Up Methodology
- Disaster Recovery Concepts
- Network Security Concepts
- Middleware Products
- Server Hardware and Operating Systems Installation Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Customer Service Oriented Skills
- Active Learning Skills in Technology
- Server and Application Troubleshooting Skills
- Server Hardware Maintenance and Operating Skills
- Documentation Preparation
- Tuning Technique Skills
- Testing Technique Skills
- Installation of Application Software Skills
- Analyze Requirements for New Applications
- Develop Cost Benefit Analysis
- Deductive Reasoning Ability
- Multi-Tasking Ability
- Logical Thought
- Written Comprehension and Expression Ability
- Static Strength Ability
- Oral Comprehension and Expression Ability
- Problem Sensitivity Ability
- Ability to Evaluate and Re-Arrange Priorities
- Inductive Reasoning Ability
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Personal Computer
- Copy Machine
- Mobile Devices
- Projector/Audio Video Equipment