|Class Title:||BINDERY WORKER 1|
|Bargaining Unit:||Use for all Job Titles|
Education and Experience: Experience equivalent to two years of full-time printing services work including, at least, one year of bindery experience; additional qualifying coursework at an accredited college, university, technical institute, business school or vocational or trade school in graphic arts, printing or a related field may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Necessary Special Qualifications: None.
Examination Method: Education and Experience, 100%, for Career Service positions.
Job Overview: Summary: Under general supervision, performs bindery work of average difficulty; and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: This is the working level class in the Bindery sub-series. An employee in this class performs a variety of bindery work such as cutting, folding, collating and binding materials. This class differs from that of Printing Services Assistant in that an incumbent of the latter works under immediate supervision in a training capacity for bindery, off-set press, pre-press and duplicating equipment work. This class differs from that of Bindery Worker 2 in that an incumbent of the latter performs work of greater scope and complexity and may serve as a lead worker.
Work Activities: 1. Binds papers together in a variety of methods including: punching holes and inserting plastic combs, stitching, gluing and padding and plastic shrink wrapping.
2. Cuts paper to correct size and trims finished products; may fold and perforate paper when necessary.
3. Collates papers into correct order.
4. Assists in the operation of a variety of bindery machinery such as multiple-fold folders, large paper cutters, perfect binding machinery, and collater/stitcher/trimmer machinery.
5. Keeps simple records and makes routine reports such as time expended and materials used.
6. May be assigned helpers to assist in work.