|Class Title:||COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST-LEAD|
|Bargaining Unit:||Use for all Job Titles|
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Retrieves data from the problem management database.
- Acquires data by receiving requests from agencies on the purchase of communication hardware, software or services.
- Provides cost of purchase and overall cost of ownership information.
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Keeps abreast of changes in industry practices and emerging communications technology by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
- Contributes to departmental productivity and development objects by participating in training programs.
- Meets with IT staff, attends webinars and reads industry related publications to remain abreast of advance technology.
- Documents procedures for hardware and software installation and use.
- Documents technical specifications, justification and operating standards for communications equipment.
- Documents user support activity, such as system problems, corrective actions, resolution status, and completed equipment installations in the incident management log system.
- Develops a bill of materials, listing all equipment and services needed for the project.
- Documents and maintains records for communication surplus, purchases, warranty, and reflection of current inventory locations, such as initial delivery, pickup, redistribution, and reassignment.
- Creates monthly data usage reports for agencies and management.
- Develops and maintains the documentation needed for system implementation and recovery.
Training and Teaching Others:
- Provides customer training of devices and service features and functions.
Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings:
- Project-manages installations of communication equipment, software and services.
- Monitors and analyzes communication equipment performance using software applications.
- Monitors and administrates built-in redundancy and load balancing.
- Monitors and responds to communications related incidents received from an incident management system.
- Monitors incoming and outgoing audio communication sound feeds to ensure quality.
- Reviews, orders and approves communication hardware, software and service requests.
- Acquires approval for communication equipment, software and service requests from appropriate authority.
- Verifies invoices and reconciles customer and vendor billing for purchases for communication equipment, software and services.
- Reviews and approves agency communication requisitions using a central tracking system.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards:
- Reviews requests from customers to verify accuracy and standards compliance.
Analyzing Data or Information:
- Identifies parameters of the current and legacy communication systems.
- Assesses the scope for installing current and legacy communications systems.
- Evaluates and recommends various communication technology based products used in support of the communications infrastructure.
- Performs capacity planning on video bridge and configure bridge.
- Assists in evaluating vendors and contractors’ performance and technical abilities.
- Identifies communication requirements for the facilities needed by the user.
Making Decisions and Solving Problems:
- Installs, configures, troubleshoots, and maintains communication hardware, software and services.
- Receives updates and maintains inventory for communication equipment and software.
- Performs onsite inspections of communications installations.
- Assists in the planning, scheduling and logistics for equipment replacement or refresh.
- Provides user support by diagnosing network and device problems and implementing technical or procedural solutions.
- Diagnoses and resolves media system problems.
- Designs integrated digital network functions for media.
- Implements system renovation projects in collaboration with technical staff, engineering consultants, installers, and vendors.
- Leads communication specialist and technical support responsibility for all communication equipment in the network designed.
- Resolves complaints about communications services.
- Develops a plan of action to implement communication systems.
- Develops plans of action for communication and network problems which cannot be solved through standard measures.
Interacting With Computers:
- Migrates core call admission and control functions for a fully-meshed, enterprise-class hardware solution.
- Implements Internet Protocol (IP) telephony and drive network convergence.
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates:
- Establishes and maintains a business relationship with contract vendors.
- Accurately communicates pertinent information to create a work environment that leads itself to the best interests of departmental personnel and customer service.
- Recommends change or improvements to service level agreements to upper management to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction is met.
- Notifies management of vendor/contractor and supplier issues.
- Maintains strong communication links with agencies throughout all stages of the webcast: pre-event, live-event and post-event with a concise verbal and/or written post-mortem/summary.
Communicating with Persons Outside Organization:
- Acts as a liaison between the state and vendor for day to day maintenance of contract issues.
- Coordinates with personnel and facilities management staff to install, remove, or relocate user connectivity equipment and devices.
- Communicates with vendors to obtain pricing and technical specifications for available hardware, software, or services.
- Coordinates with agencies the delivery and pickup of communication equipment.
- Works with vendor support and agency contacts to resolve technical problems with communication equipment, software or services.
- Maintains communication with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Responds to customer email or telephone inquiries regarding devices and customer service in a timely manner.
- Coordinates mass deployments of devices or services with vendors and agencies.
- Coordinates catalog refresh and related changes with the assigned support team.
- Collaborates with the agency management to discuss available solutions and opportunities for new or existing communication technologies.
- Meets with agencies to consult on communication requirements.
- Develops and maintains a relationship with vendors and agencies to establish a connection for the secure exchange of information.
Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships:
- Provides leadership by projecting a positive attitude, and providing learning incentives.
Controlling Machines and Processes:
- Activates wireless devices internally or by contacting service carrier vendors.
Handling and Moving Objects:
- Assigns assets tags and inventories communication equipment or software shipments.
Identifying Actions and Events:
- Obtains and previews programs prior to events in order to become familiar with the order and needs of pieces.
- Provides live, real time support for video bridge conferences.
- Functional/Technical Competency
- Business Acumen
- Technical Learning
- Learning on the Fly
- Problem Solving
- Customer Focus
- Peer Relationship
- Presentation Skills
- Knowledge of telecommunications
- Knowledge of digital communication technology
- Knowledge of communication technology configuration
- Knowledge of communication technology installation
- Knowledge of communication technology deployment
- Knowledge of computers electronics
- Knowledge of Engineering and Technology
- Knowledge of Customer and Personal Services
- Knowledge of Purchasing Procedures
- Knowledge of Invoicing Procedures
- Knowledge of audio visual technology
- Knowledge of wireless communication technology
- Knowledge of project management concepts
- Knowledge of communication and media
- Knowledge of communication software applications
- Knowledge of communication redundancy
- Knowledge of communication load balancing
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Active Learning
- Equipment Maintenance
- Complex Problem Solving
- Systems Analysis
- Systems Evaluation
- Critical Thinking
- Operations Analysis
- Management of Personnel Resources
- Time Management
- Active Listening
- Service Orientation
- Deductive Reasoning
- Oral Comprehension
- Oral Expression
- Perceptual Speed
- Problem Sensitivity
- Inductive Reasoning
- Written Comprehension
- Written Expression
- Time Sharing
- Extent Flexibility
- Static Strength
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Personal Computer
- Fax Machine
- Video Camera