|Class Title:||CORRECTIONAL TEACHER SUPV|
|Bargaining Unit:||Use for all Job Titles|
Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree and experience equivalent to three years of full-time professional teaching work.
Substitution of Education for Experience: Additional qualifying graduate coursework in education may be substituted for the required experience, on a year-for-year basis, to a maximum of two years.
Necessary Special Qualifications: Possession of a valid Interim or professional Tennessee Teacher’s Certificate is required.
Examination Method: Education and Experience,100%, for Preferred Service positions. For Executive Service positions, Minimum Qualifications, Necessary Special Qualifications, and Examination Method are determined by the appointing authority.
Summary: Under general supervision, is responsible for professional correctional teaching work of considerable difficulty and supervisory work of average difficulty; and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: This is the supervisory class in the Correctional Teacher sub-series. An employee in this class functions in a variety of assignments such as providing classroom instructions in mathematics or English or social studies or science, assisting the principal with administrative duties, disciplinary actions and acting as assistant principal. This class differs from that of Correctional Teacher in that an incumbent of the latter acts in an entry-working capacity. This class differs from that of Principal in that an incumbent of the latter is responsible for directing a moderate-sized staff in education operations at a large state facility.
Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings:
- Supervises and monitors education building and classroom discipline.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards:
- Plans, directs, supervises and the work of teachers through assignments, class schedules and observation through following the Department of Education standards.
- Assists in supervising the enforcement of policy and procedure for operations and functions within sphere of authority.
Training and Teaching Others:
- Supervises and supports staff implementing Tennessee Department of Education approved academic curriculums in areas such as high school subject areas, adult basic education including literacy through General Education Development and special education for youth and adults.
- Administers and interprets educational diagnostic aptitude and ability assessments.
- Counsels students in areas such as educational and behavioral needs to promote success.
Coaching and Developing Others:
- Identifies needs of the student to ensure appropriate material is presented in the classroom.
- Coaches and mentors students toward reaching their highest academic potential.
- Coaches and mentors employees toward reaching their highest job performance potential.
Interacting With Computers:
- Uses computers and computer systems to enter data and/or processes information.
Performing Administrative Activities:
- Serves as a member of various institutional boards and teams.
- Performs day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintain information files and processing paperwork.
- Compiles data for completing required reports to turn in to appropriate departments.
- Coordinates educational programs with other institutional programs within the facility.
- Assists in making recommendations on employment, retention, promotion, demotion and other human resources related actions.
- Assists in supervising divisional operations, functions and services.
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Supervises and participates in in-service training, staff meetings and departmental workshops.
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers or Subordinates:
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail or in person.
Communicating with Persons Outside Organization:
- Performs public contact and liaison work in explaining and interpreting programs.
- Dealing with Ambiguity
2. Decision Quality
5. Conflict Management
6. Managerial Courage
7. Action Oriented
8. Drive For Results
9. Organizational Agility
10. Written Communications
12. Fairness to Direct Reports
- Knowledge of computer program and office equipment, at an intermediate level, used on a daily basis
- Knowledge of Human Resources policies and procedures that will be used on a daily basis with supervision
- Knowledge of the Departmental policies and procedures, at an intermediate level, used on a daily basis in the work environment
- The skill to manage one’s own time
- The skill to actively listen to others
- The skill to organize work efficiently and effectively
- The skill to use problem solving techniques, at an intermediate level, in daily work
- The skill to understand written sentences and paragraphs, at an intermediate level, in work related documents
- The skill to understand verbal communication, at an intermediate level, in work related situations on a daily basis
- The skill to listen to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- The skill to make appropriate decisions, at an intermediate level, on a daily basis
- The ability to be culturally sensitive in the work environment
- The ability to demonstrate warmth and empathy when working with students
- The ability to demonstrate self-control in daily situations
- The ability to demonstrate critical thinking, at an intermediate level, in the work environment
- The ability to handle daily stressful situations in the work environment
- The ability to demonstrate flexibility in the work environment
- The ability to be a team player in the work environment
- The ability to work with the general public in the work environment on a daily basis
- The ability to manage multiple roles in the work environment on a daily basis
- The ability to develop and maintain personal growth within the team assigned to in the work environment
- The ability to coach and mentor best practices for the Correctional Teacher’s in the work environment on a daily basis
Tools and Equipment Used:
Click here to access current compensation information.
- Hand held radios
- Overhead Projectors
- Fax Machine
- Copy Machine