DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
Location: ATHLETIC DEPT
Group: 12/260 PRO
• Assists administrators in performing personnel administrative functions (e.g. hiring, counseling, training,
supervising, evaluating, providing professional development opportunities, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining
necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff, and ensuring that athletic program outcomes are achieved.
• Collaborates with internal and external personnel (e.g. athletic directors, administrators, auditors, other school
system representatives, public agencies, community members, etc.) for the purpose of implementing and/or
maintaining athletic programs and related services in an effective, timely and compliant manner.
• Compiles data from a wide variety of sources (e.g. athletic directors, staff, other school systems, public agencies,
etc.) for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with relevant policies and procedures, and/or
monitoring athletic program components.
• Coordinates a wide variety of necessary activities and processes (e.g. transportation, maintenance of athletic
facilities and fields, purchase of equipment and supplies) for the purpose of ensuring that District athletic
programs and services are provided in a safe, efficient, effective and legally compliant manner.
• Facilitates meetings and workshops for the purpose of identifying issues, developing recommendations,
supporting other staff, and serving as a District representative.
• Investigates complaints and possible wrongdoing related to District athletic programs for the purpose of ensuring
that program activities are conducted in a fair, consistent and legally compliant manner.
• Manages athletic program(s) and other related responsibilities for the purpose of providing quality student athletic
opportunities, achieving organizational objectives, and ensuring compliance with legal, financial and District
• Participates in meetings as required (e.g. workshops, inter and intra district committees, seminars, conferences,
etc.) for the purpose of conveying and gathering information regarding a wide variety of subjects required to carry
out their administrative responsibilities.
• Participates in the planning and monitoring of budget allocations, expenditures, fund balances and related
financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, revenues are recorded, expenses are
within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
• Prepares a wide variety of often complex materials in both manual and electronic formats (e.g. plans, budgets,
athletic schedules, letters, memos, presentations, professional development, web pages etc.) for the purpose of
documenting activities and issues, meeting compliance requirements, providing audit references, making
presentations, and/or providing supporting materials for requested actions.
• Presents information on a variety of topics related to administrative responsibilities (e.g. financial information,
overviews of programs/services, policies and procedures, etc.) for the purpose of providing general information,
training others, implementing actions, etc.
• Researches a wide variety of topics (e.g. policies, eligibility requirements, rule changes, schedules, current
practices, staffing requirements, financial resources, etc.) for the purpose of developing new athletic
programs/services, ensuring program compliance with established requirements, securing general information
and/or responding to requests.
• Responds to issues involving staff, conflicts in policies and regulations, community concerns, parental requests
that may result in some negative impact and/or liability if not appropriately addressed for the purpose of identifying
the relevant issues and recommending or implementing a plan of action that will efficiently resolve the issue.
Position may perform other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of
the work unit.
Working environment includes standard office space. This job requires frequent travel to school sites across the District.
Generally, the job requires 60% sitting, 20% walking, and 20% standing.
Other Physical Requirements: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching,
and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
Minimum experience: Job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
Minimum education: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
The ideal candidate will have the following education, experience, skills, knowledge, abilities and/or competencies:
• Valid Administrator’s License is preferred.
• Has ability to make challenging decisions, remain professional under stress and possess exceptional judgment.
• Has understanding of TSSAA bylaws in addition to other policies and laws pertaining to secondary school athletics.