|HR SPECIALIST CERTIFIED
Location: HUMAN RESOURCE DEPT
Group: 12 MO CLAS
The job of the Human Resources Specialist was established for the purpose(s) of providing human resources services with
specific responsibility for providing support and information to employees regarding policies, regulations, and concerns; assisting
school sites with filling vacant positions to meet needs; hiring and processing of employees; maintaining records; producing a variety
of information as needed; and assisting in ensuring that personnel functions conform to all applicable regulatory requirements.
This job reports to the Human Resources Supervisor.
• Administers a wide variety of personnel policies and programs regarding employees (e.g. advertising available positions,
processing applications, recruitment, separation, verifying employment, orientation, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining an
effective program and conforming to district policies, procedures, and relevant laws.
• Communicates with WCS staff, departments, school contacts, administrators, applicants and the public for the purpose of
providing information and assistance concerning employment, procedures, personnel records and related legal
• Conducts new hire orientation (e.g. introducing personnel, briefing of payroll, expectations, policies, procedures, hours of
work, maintaining schedules, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring employees are knowledgeable of current practices,
dissemination, and administrative processes and ensuring accurate completion of new hire paperwork.
• Maintains personnel record keeping procedures (e.g. entering personnel actions for pay, transcripts, recruiting, hiring,
scheduling, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with established guidelines and protocol.
• Maintains employee tracking reports, recommendations and schedules for the purpose of ensuring that all databases and
reporting are efficiently kept up-to-date for budget tracking purposes.
• Coordinates employment process (e.g. interpreting new hire information and transcripts, processing applications, inputting
substitute data, analyzing transcripts and references, long term state rate, permanent positions, etc.) for the purpose of
meeting district staffing requirements while complying with established guidelines.
• Develops a wide variety of written materials and reporting (e.g. forms, procedures, guidelines, new hire information,
certification lists, daily and quarterly superintendent report, data trends, special reports, etc.) for the purpose of
documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying accurate information.
• Participates in meetings, training, and site visits that involve a range of issues (e.g. personnel actions, regulatory
requirements, inter-department needs, etc.) for the purpose of developing recommendations and/or supporting other staff.
• Performs record keeping and clerical functions (e.g. scheduling, copying, faxing, data inputting, transmitting,
telephoning, taking messages, responding to written and verbal inquires, etc.) for the purpose of supporting the needs of the
applicants, schools, and HR department.
• Responds to a variety of written and verbal inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources (e.g. employees,
applicants, teachers, administrators or designees, etc.) for the purpose of resolving concerns, problem-solving, providing
information and/or reference to appropriate personnel.
• Schedules a variety of meetings and employee events (orientations, facilities use, etc.) for the purpose of meeting the need
of the department, district, and employees.
• Efficient use of time management (orientation deadlines, paperwork deadlines, payroll deadlines, appropriate response
time for requests, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that tasks are categorized and completed ensuring effective workflow
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing
job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: planning and
managing activities; preparing and maintaining accurate records; utilizing standard office equipment including utilizing pertinent
software applications; facilitating meetings and record keeping.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats,
and/or present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to
satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: personnel practices within a district environment; codes, policies related to the
job functions; effective general knowledge of office equipment and software.
ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use
basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing
defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Problem solving is required to analyze issues and
create action plans. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: meeting
deadlines, maintaining schedules, adaptability to work with a variety of individuals, confidentiality; working with frequent
interruptions; decision making, multitasking, organization, taking initiative; and teamwork.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or
coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget and/or financial guidelines.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting,
carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
Generally, the job requires 70% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing.
EXPERIENCE: Job related experience is preferred.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent.
EQUIVALENCY: None Specified