SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER ASSISTANT
Location: CHAPMANS RETREAT ELEM SCHOOL
Group: 10/20 CLAS
The job of the Special Education Teacher’s Assistant was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional
program within assigned educational settings with specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision and instruction of special
needs students; observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for instruction; and assisting students by
providing for special health care needs.
This job reports to the School Site Principal
• Administers immediate first aid and medical assistance as instructed by orders from a health care professional (e.g. diapering, tube feeding, colostomy bags, etc.) for the purpose of meeting immediate health care needs and/or developing children’s daily living activities and behavioral skills.
• Applies and removes therapy appliances as instructed (e.g. body braces, leg braces, sensory devices, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the student has the proper equipment according to the IEP plan.
• Assists students by enabling them to access their electronic communicators, switches, pointers, feeders, etc. for the purpose of ensuring equipment is hooked up properly and functioning properly.
• Assists students in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in their wheelchairs in and around school and on field trips for the purpose of ensuring the student gets to and from school and to
the proper places safely.
• Assists with pre-lunch and lunch activities (e.g. heat food, grind food, collect lunch money, feeding, etc.) for the purpose
of helping the teacher and lunch personnel get the student fed.
• Assists students with toileting and/or personal hygiene as needed to ensure safety and meeting health care needs.
• Attends meetings and in-service presentations (e.g. first aid, CPR, emergency procedures, behavior management, CPI,
IEPs, etc.) for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
• Participates in the implementation of IEP goals and student behavior plans and communicates with supervising instructional staff and/or professional support personnel for the purpose of meeting IEP goals; fostering effective and safe student learning; and/or district benchmarks.
• Maintains instructional materials and/or manual and electronic files/records (e.g. lessons, attendance, pencils, paper, teaching supplies, bulletin boards and/or room decorating, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items, providing written reference, and/or meeting mandated requirements.
• Monitors students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments (e.g. lunch, bus stops, playground, classroom, restroom, field trips, public transportation, assemblies, kitchen, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; and preparing and maintaining
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math functions; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed
formats; present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to
satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: nonviolent crisis intervention restraints; instructional procedures and
practices; age appropriate student activities; safety practices and procedures; conflict resolution; and stages of child development/
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and work with a wide diversity of individuals; gather and/or collate data, use basic math
and job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances and work with data utilizing
defined but different processes. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with
data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific abilitybased competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities;
communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; working as a team; and working with constant interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating
others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform
the job’s functions.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant
lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling;
and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 40% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed
under minimal temperature variations and under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
EXPERIENCE: Job related experience is preferred.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent.
EQUIVALENCY: None Specified