Location: EDMONDSON ELEM SCHOOL
Group: 10/20 CLAS
The job of the Teacher Assistant was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional program within assigned educational settings with specific responsibility for working with individual and/or small groups of students; and providing clerical support to teacher/s and staff. This job reports to the School Site Principal
• Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
• Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. read stories, listen to students read, providing writing assistance, reinforce English lessons, provide spelling practice, computer learning programs, etc.) for the purpose
of practicing and/or reinforcing learning concepts and assisting students in reaching academic goals and grade level standards.
• Assists teachers with classroom assignments, tests, homework, make-up work, etc. for the purpose of supporting
teachers in the instructional process.
• Attends meetings and professional development opportunities for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information
relative to job functions.
• Communicates with supervising instructional staff, professional support personnel, and parents for the purpose of
assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing academic objectives.
• Maintains instructional materials and/or manual and electronic files/records (e.g. lessons, pencils, paper, teaching supplies,
etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items, and/or meeting mandated requirements.
• Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, library,
lunchroom, bus loading/unloading, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
• Performs general clerical tasks (e.g. laminating, making posters, making copies, bulletin boards, filing, newsletters,
etc.) for the purpose of assisting teachers with instructional material.
• Reports observations and incidents relating to specific students (e.g. accidents, fights, appropriate and inappropriate
social behavior, violations of rules, safety conditions, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate
instructional and/or administrative personnel.
• Supports classroom teachers and other school personnel (e.g. opens book store, performs hearing/visual screening,
oral/written testing, type newsletters, etc.) for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of curriculum and
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Page 2 of 2 1320 WEST MAIN STREET, SUITE 202 FRANKLIN, TN 37064 R 10/5/17
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job
conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: understand and
apply policies, regulations and/or laws; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and operating standard office equipment
including pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math functions; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed
formats, present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to
satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: instructional procedures and practices; age appropriate student activities;
safety practices and procedures; conflict resolution; and stages of child development.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and work with a wide diversity of individuals; gather and/or collate data, use basic math
and job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances and work with data utilizing
defined but different processes. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with
data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific abilitybased competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities;
communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; working as a team; and working with constant interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating
others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform
the job’s functions.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting,
carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and
significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 30% sitting, 20% walking, and 50% standing. The job is performed
under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness
EXPERIENCE: Job related experience is preferred.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent.
EQUIVALENCY: None Specified